Music is a powerful medium that can affect us all deeply. There are many ways in which we engage with music, this could be playing in a band, singing in a choir or simply listening to music. Music helps us connect with ourselves and others around us. It can calm or excite us; it can stir memories and resonate with our feelings. It’s a way in which we can communicate with ourselves and each other.
Some of the benefits music can have on our mental health:
- Music releases dopamine, which is the ‘feel-good’ chemical in your brain. A study by Mind showed that dopamine was up by 9% when volunteers listened to music they enjoyed.
- It can improve brain performance.
- It can improve mood and motivation.
- It may help you sleep better.
- It can improve endurance and performance.